Life's goals - 9/20/2004
Today is a holiday in Japan; it's a day for the old. (Yep, they have such a holiday like a day for the children and for people who are coming of age.) During this Sunday's mass sermon, the officiating priest, who's already 73 years old, talked about how we should be prepared for our own old age though they may seem years, years away. That when that time comes, we should be able to look back and be glad how things have turned out. That one should start planning one's life as early as now.

For someone who's not good at making decisions, planning one's life is next to impossible. Just last Saturday, I had a difficulty deciding whether to go to the gym or go swimming the next day. Yep, things as simple as that ... what more for heavy matters such as answers to the question "Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?".

Actually, I do have a concrete answer to that question. But no matter how much I want it to happen, it's not something I have a complete control of. However, there are some little things I can do to make this plan of mine more tangible. And last Saturday night, my friend and I talked about planning our life and setting goals. They don't have to be big and life-altering; little ones will do. So far, I have set a few ones for myself. These are my goals for the remaining months of this year and next year:
  1. Lose 5 kilos by December 2004.
  2. Pass JLPT.
  3. Lose another 5kilos by March 2005. (so that's 10kls less my weight now)
  4. Go to Boracay or Palawan next summer.
  5. Weigh around 55-65 kilos by next birthday.
  6. Participate in GK777.
  7. Learn how to play the guitar.
  8. Learn how to drive a car by December 2005.

These goals may be silly and senseless for some people; but for me, achieving them would lead me closer to my ultimate goal and eventually bring me true happiness. And hopefully, when old age comes, I will be able to look back and say, "Life was good."