Rapport - 1/13/2005
During my vacation, I was able to watch few episodes of this Korean drama my mother and sister are religiously following. The drama tells the story of a well-to-do guy and a not-so-fortunate girl falling in love. In the episodes I watched, the girl was desperately trying to get on the good side of the guy's family. Not being in the same class with them, the guy's family doesn't approve of their relationship; and they are not ashamed to let her know that. Being, I guess, the good person she is, she endures all the awful and humiliating remarks and goes on with her attempt to win the family's nod. There was a point when I wanted to grab her by the shoulders, shake her senseless and tell her to stop being sooo pathetic. She doesn't need their approval, even her fiance said so.

I can't help but ask ... how important is it to get along with the family of your other half?

My brother has a girlfriend my family is not that fond of (especially my Pop). They've been together for more than 4 years, yet until now Papa shakes his head every time her name is mentioned in the household. I can even count on one hand the number of times she has visited our home. When I asked my brother about it, he said she is too afraid of Papa and opts to avoid an audience with our family. (Papa did give her the look the last time she was there.) And unlike the girl in the Korean drama, she has never attempted to get on the good side of our family.

My family is very important to me. If I have the option, I would like my next gentleman friend to get along with my family; as much as I would like to have a good rapport with his.