Spark, love and relationships - 9/22/2004
What makes a good relationship? What does it take to make romance work? Does having spark enough to make a relationship last and lead to a successful marriage?

For Carrie, a relationship is not a relationship without the zsa zsa zsu (a.k.a. that special something that gives you butterflies in the stomach). I think she has a point. According to my friend, starting a relationship with me is not possible simply because there's no spark. (Yep, he thought about it and considered before.) We are good friends, we are comfortable in each other's presence and we have a lot of things in common; but the zsa zsa zsu, the spark that makes a romance work, just isn't there.

..........

Last Sunday, I had a late lunch with some friends. One of the topics of our conversation was about relationships. This guy friend of mine, as eligible as he is, is still very much single. I told him maybe he's being too choosy. Like for instance, he has this lady friend who is pretty, sexy, smart and very interested in him. Yet, for him, pursuing her is out of the question. His reason? Well, he said, being with her is just too tiring. I guess he has a point. You wouldn't want to be in a relationship where you need to pretend or exert too much effort just to be in the same level with your partner.

What he said made me think of myself ... of how the opposite sex may see me. Am I the high maintenance kind of gal? Am I tiring to be with? And I can't help but wonder, is that why he gave up on me?

..........

According to this same friend of mine, when choosing a partner in life, a positive answer to questions such as: "Can I bring this person to my home and meet my parents? Can I imagine spending the rest of my life with this person? Would this person be a good parent?" is more important than good looks and sexy body. And I definitely agree with that.

..........

"Some people are settling down, some people are settling and some people refuse to settle for anything less than butterflies." - Carrie