As a woman, is being successful a bad thing? - 1/21/2005
"Sino pa ang lalapit na lalaki sa'yo n'yan? Ang hirap mo na abutin..."

... was what a friend said after telling her that I'm thinking of getting a place of my own (just a small one) when I go home. What?!?! Actually, it wasn't just her who reacted in that manner. Another one said that if I'll have my own house, it's either no guy will approach me or if there is one, must be someone who wants to take advantage of what I have. Now that's not so nice. Borrowing a line from Miranda Hobbes,

"So I'm being punished for being successful."


Not that I'm successful (coz I am far from being one); it's just not fair when a woman needs to appear weak and in dire need to be rescued just to get a man. I just want to enjoy what I have worked hard for ... that isn't a crime right? (And I think it's the practical thing to do. Instead of paying a monthly rent, why not pay a monthly due for a house to own.)

They say that men don't want a woman who's too strong and self-sufficient. Buying your own place means you don't need a man. (I think it was Carrie who said that.)


-----


"When single men have money, it's their advantage. But if a single woman has money, it's a problem to be dealt with. It's ridiculous. I want to enjoy my success, not apologize for it." - Miranda Hobbes, SATC