The Valentine's Pact - 2/08/2005
February --- the love month. It's the month when the town is painted red (literally); we see red in different shades where ever we go. It is also the month that Petals Galore, Holland Tulips, Bloom Central and even manang's flower shop in Carbon especially like. Prices of flowers skyrocket as the 14th draws near that one has to pay more than twice of what the flowers are worth during an ordinary day.

Honestly, I do not have a fond Valentine's memory. I had a funny one though. It was during my last year in college. Just a month away from the finals, a group of my batchmates rented an apartment where we could stay and make our projects. In the early morning of the 14th, I was awoken by my groupmate saying that there's somebody looking for me downstairs. So, still in sleeplike state, I went down and, lo and behold, a bunch of roses wrapped in an old newspaper was shove into my hands. I think he just came from the market where he bought the flowers because the next thing I noticed was one of my fingers was starting to bleed. Yes, the flowers came in their purest form minus the plant pot. (Nothing happened with that guy; but it was not because of the flowers incident.)

On the night of Valentine's day last year, I was sitting beside one of my fabulous friends on a bus going to Nagano for a ski trip. During the long trip, we talked about life, past relationships, and the fact we haven't had a real valentine for years. [Despite being (I think) the good catch that we are, the fact that we are still single and unattached leaves me somewhat befuddled.] So, then and there, we made a pact -- that on this day next year, we won't be sitting beside each other and will be with someone special. Next year is already here and the 14th is just few days away. I can surely say we will not be sitting beside each other since she is in Cebu right now. And for that someone special? Hhhmm, given that it's only six days away, I doubt if there would be one. Well, I hope she will have more luck than me. If not, there will always be next year ... my dear fabulous friend(s).