あいのり - 8/03/2004
I just finished watching あいのり on TV. It's a Japanese reality TV program where a group of people (usually 4 guys & 3 gals) ride on a pink wagon and travel around the world in the hope of finding true love and happiness. I have been watching the show for quite some time now. I find it entertaining to watch. Aside from being able to see various places in the world -- beautiful sights, unusual food, unique customs, etc., you get to witness a love story evolve -- boy meets girl who just joined the group; boy finds girl cute and interesting and makes a move to get to know her better; and if boy feels confident enough, he expresses his love and proposes to her. If he is lucky to go for a girl who likes him in return, they kiss and go back to Japan together (which for some, leads to marriage). (By the way, a girl can also make the first move, express her feelings and propose to the guy.) However, not everyone ends up with a happy ending ... some hearts do get shattered and leave the wagon alone.

After watching the show, I can't help but think -- in this competitive world of ours, should one be aggressive in finding love?

I remember what my Nihonggo teacher said during our recent phone conversation. "Dess-san, if you just sit and wait for someone to come along, you might find yourself still single at the age of 40." For someone like me who wants to have my own family that thought seems a little scary. It makes me wanna shout and cry "NOOOO! THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! (I hope...)". With that in mind, should I start my own あいのり adventure? Should I go out and get a love life? If that question was asked a few weeks back, a YES would definitely be heard from me. But at this point in my life, my answer would be a simple "No, thank you." I do believe He has His reasons why I haven't found the right guy ... why I'm still single until now. I guess He's not yet finished preparing me for a married life. And if it takes a while for me to get ready, then I will wait. In His perfect time, my special someone will come along. I'll just have to trust Him.

----------------
あいのり
-- 相乗り; ainori
-- 乗り物に一緒に乗ること
-- sharing a ride (together)