The shopaholic in me - 8/22/2004
What is it with women and shopping? Okay, let me rephrase that ... what is it with me and shopping?

It's so funny how I get irritated with Becky Bloomwood (of the famous Shopaholic series); how she goes gaga over shopping, red tags, bargains, 30%-70% discounts, etc. and spends so much money on stuff which she doesn't need and couldn't afford. Well, maybe because I can see myself in her in some ways. For example, if I see an item on sale I would buy that item (in quantities) because it would be a good Christmas gift even though Christmas is still 5 months away and I do not have a person in mind to give to. I also have this tendency of buying more stuff than what's necessary because "If you purchase Php3000 worth of xxxx, you'll get a nice gift bag!" And I do get excited and lose sleep the night before a big bargain sale day. But compared to Becky, when I do go shopping, I seldom buy for myself. It's more of buying my papa shoes he will be comfortable walking around; looking for a bag my sister can use in school; purchasing a nice blouse for my mama; buying my brother a shirt he will look great in; and finding stuff my friends will love.

Yep, the buzz and thrill of shopping does excite me. My feet do get hurt after a day of walking but the satisfaction I feel after a good buy is worth all the exhaustion. And I may not have as much money in my bank account compared to others. But no amount of money saved can beat the happiness I feel after seeing the looks of my love ones upon opening my gifts to them.