From one beach to another... - 4/30/2005




"You look like Koreans who got fried under the sun," a friend said when he saw me and my friend Krish together. After spending 4 days and 3 nights in Boracay, I am now an adopted member of the aetas community of the Guimaras Island. Okay okay, it'a not really as dark as you might be imagining, but definitely a few shades darker compared to my skin color 4 weeks ago.

Before last weekend, I have been to Boracay only once; it was back in 2000 when we had our company outing there. Boracay since then has changed a lot. There are more establishments now like Pier One and D'Mall. Even the resort (Boracay Peninsula) where we stayed before looked different; the place was renovated and, now, it has a Korean grill restaurant at the front. Good thing Jonah's shake is still there. I was able to try Choco-peanut-banana and Melon-mango shakes (yum!). Cafe Breizh (where we had our daily breakfast coz it was just right beside the resort where we stayed at) is also still there ... and yes their crepes are still good.

There is just one change I didn't like (there are actually quite a few but I will just mention this one). Compared before, the sea is now crowded with pamboats that you can hardly have a clear view of the horizon that is not obstructed by a big or samll vessel far from or near the beachfront. And by the way, the water near the shore is covered green algae stuff especially near Willy's Resort. Good thing the area in front of BBR didn't have much. [ I am currently looking at some pictures taken during my trip to Boracay 5 years ago; the water was definitely clearer and although there are some boats, there's only a handful. I had the beautiful horizon as my background in one of the photos(sorry can't post the pictures ... aside from the reason that it's a hard copy and scanning the pictures will take time, I really do not look good in them so it would be better not to post the pictures)].

But despite all these, I still enjoyed my stay in Boracay with my family. It warmed my heart to see them having fun basking under the sun. A big hole in the pocket it might have been, I am really glad pushed through with my plans. Quality time with the family .... priceless!


pics to follow ...