People as mirrors - 3/28/2005
With all the farewell parties and gatherings that have been going on these past days, I have gotten a somewhat clear picture of how people see me.

To some, I am the charming Odessa who has this carefree outlook in life. Bubbly, lively, sweet, easygoing, lighthearted and cheerful are some of the adjectives used in describing yours truly. And it warms my heart to hear such words coming from their mouths.

Of course, not all that was said is nice and pleasant. Authoritative, mataray and someone having a strong personality were also used. I do not find these words a bit offensive and hearing them certainly doesn't infuriate me. I know I can be bitchy to some people at times; but it is because that person has done something which I find wrong or annoying. I am a follower of rules and regulations. I do not like other people (especially the Japanese) to find some reasons to dislike me or us Filipinos. And if you happen to do such a thing, I won't hesitate letting you know that.

To others, kinda aloof was their first impression of me. I admit they are right. I am fully aware that I may seem snobbish and unapproachable the first time we meet or first few days/weeks we are together. A friend once told me how afraid she was of me during the time we were still roommates. She found me strict and cold. (I want to reason out and say it's just because I was used to not having a roommate that I had a hard time adjusting to my new situation. I know it's not a valid reason; so, I just want to say sorry for being so bitchy before.) But now that we have become good friends, she has come to know me well and now find my antics amusing. She can now even afford to tease me to death.

I know that easygoing and authoritative are two contradicting words. It seems strange to hear these words to describe one person. But as what some of my friends say, I have a split-personality disorder. I can be sweet and charming at one moment and be mataray and bitchy the next. Well, that's mood swings bebe.

What I can assure you though is that once we have become good friends, you will come to realize that I'm a sweet, generous, protective and loving friend who you can count on. (Some people can vouch for that.)