Olympic dream - 8/30/2004
The Athens 2004 Olympic Games is almost over. USA is leading the medal tally with 102 medals, 35 of them gold; Japan has 16 gold medals; while the Philippines hasn't won a thing.

I wonder what it's like to be a part of such prestigious event. How it would feel parading with other athletes from different countries in the opening ceremony. I watched some of the games on TV (the main reason of my lack of sleep for the past 2 weeks) and was able to witness the thrill and excitement during a competition, the elation a player feels after winning an event and the frustration after losing one. I would really want to experience that state of eupohoria. Thus, I have been thinking of a sport I can participate in the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

In order for this dream to come true, I should be able to learn a sport which I can master by 2008. A sport which won't require much money for training. It would also be simplier if it's an individual event. I do know how to play a number of sports but unfortunately I am no master of one. Here are the sports I have considered so far:

*Tennis: This is one of my favorite sports. But based on my current skill level, it would be quite impossible to be in the same category with the likes of Henin-Hardenne and Clijsters within the next four years.

*Archery: A sport which I think is a bit easy to learn but would require a lot of money for the equipments.

*Shooting: Another sport which is a easy to learn but holding a gun doesn't sound so appealing to me.

*Synchronised Swimming (Duet): A sport suggested by a friend who is even willing to sponsor the attire I and my co-olympic dreamer will be wearing. (I heard in the news a few days ago that a synchro swimmer is required to eat around 4000 calories a day during training. That's a lot of food!)

*Judo: Suggested by a lot of people. I guess because I have the built for it; but do I also have the strength?


Any other suggestions?


(In my dreams though where anything is possible, gymnastics would definitely be my choice.)

----------


I was with friends for lunch this afternoon. We got to talk about the Athens 2004 Olympic Games -- the amazing and thrilling events, the heartwarming stories, the controversies, etc.

Funny lines spoken by my co-olympic dreamers:

* Unsa kaha na game ang dili pwede madaog ni superman no?

* Ako sa pa mga archery players, mag Legolas costume jud ko.

* Naa unta olympics para sa mga superheroes.