Self-control - 10/14/2004
At the SFC retreat I attended last weekend, I finally identified the root cause of my weakness in decision making -- it is the lack of self-control.

If you have been following this blog, you should know by now that there are different areas in my life that I don't have control of. For one, my emotions do sometimes get out hand making me say things which I regret later on. I have addictions that keeps me from getting enough sleep which surely has a great effect on my health (I might not feel anything now, but oh boy when I get old). It's good though that my desire for food has slowly diminished. :)

So, how are decision-making and self-control related?

Being in control of yourself means being able to answer for your actions; it means being responsible for your own decisions or choices in life. And that's precisely the area I am not good at. Thus most of the time, I let the others do the deciding for me; I let someone else take charge. Or I just let nature takes its course.

And this has to stop! Major changes must be done. I badly need to regain control of myself. According to the teachings, here some pointers on how to grow in self- control:
1) Decide for it. (I am decided!)
2) Trust God for it. (I completely trust in You.)
3) Live in an ordered environment. (Decluttering of habitation to follow.)
4) Map out a course of action and pursue it patiently. (Goals ... here I come!)
5) Guard your thoughts. (Tukso layuan mo ako.)
6) Get help. (Friends ... friends ... need your help.)
"I have the strength to face all conditions by the power that Christ gives me." - Philippians 4:13

-----

Did you know that self-control produces confidence and inner strength? Yes, it does. It is also the virtue that makes the other virtues (love, discipline, meekness, zeal, joy, sorrow, faithfulness, patience and perseverance) possible.