Viva Senor San Miguel !!! - 9/29/2004
St. Michael the Archangel Every 29th of September, Iligan (city of waterfalls) is the place to be for fiesta-goers; actually it is a month long celebration in honor of St. Michael the Archangel. There are different activities you can watch or participate in like tournaments (tennis, bowling, etc.), concerts, the Miss Iligan beauty pageant, street dancing, the panaad & procession and many more.

It has been quite a while since the last time I was in Iligan for the fiesta. (Yikees, I can't remember when that was.) When I was still in grade school, my family rarely attended the street dancing because it was too crowded. I do remember the few times I was able to witness the event. People who were part of the parade were garbed in different costumes; but most of them were either in angel costumes or had their body painted in black (representing the wicked devil). They danced on the street while shouting "Viva Senor San Miguel!". Those black-painted people, being playful, smudged some of the bystanders' face or clothing (it's not advisable to wear white or other light-colored clothing for this event). It was really fun. I wonder if it's still the same now.

FOOD ... there's a lot of that in every home. You can have lunch at one place, snacks at another and then go to another place for dinner. You will even find some houses celebrating on the eve (biesperas) of the fiesta. Aahhh the smell of food ... I can now imagine our dining table filled with lechon, dinuguan, kaldereta, papait, embutido, macaroni salad, chocolate cake, etc. Oh how I long to be home! (I better call home right after posting this entry. *inggitin ang sarili ba*)

To the Iliganons, Maayong Piyesta!!! Viva Senor San Miguel!!!


*****

Speaking of food, I just learned that the wife of my friend doesn't eat fruits of any kind. She is not allergic; she just doesn't like the smell of fruits especially the sweet kind. Isn't that weird?